Listening...


I remember in a GL (Girl's Life magazine... pretty much Seventeen for Preteens) issue, there was a quiz about who you are in your group of friends. Whether or not you were the cheerleader, the perfect girl, the the sporty girl, the giggly girl... I don't remember what I got, but I remember there was one girl that I wanted to be. I wanted to be the sympathetic girl, or the peer counselor. The friend you could call in tears and be able to rant and talk about your problems with. I don't know why, but you know... there are so many selfish people, the world always needs more people to care. It's like one of the sayings I came up with- "You can never have too many kind people, but one mean person is one too many!"


But something that would make me wonder is- how do you be a great listener? Is it someone who gives great advice? Someone who knows what to say to comfort? Someone with ice cream? I used to think it was someone who knew what to say, but that's tricky. When you don't know what to say, you think you're bad at this counselor thing but actually you're not.


I remembered I found out what makes a great listener when talking to Steph. I don't remember what I was talking about, but I had a problem and it was really bugging. I paused to let steph talk but she didn't say anything. I asked her why she wasn't talking and she said she was letting me rant, get all my emotions out, because she could tell I had alot on my chest. I was touched, because a friend had never done that.


After that, I started listening more to friends than trying to shower them with comments and advice. and since I've both ranted and been ranted at, I know that sometimes, sympathetic silence and a few comments to show you really are listening and want them to be happy or ok.


You really have to appreciate a good listener these days. A good friend that cares... Because caring has been so rare all of a sudden. We're the selfish generation... That's why I really value my friends when they care. I think everyone at sometime wants someone to look them in the eye and say "tell the truth" when they say they're ok.


So here's a big *hug* to the friends that have been there when I needed a shoulder and an ear.


*hug*

0 comments:

Leave a Comment

Back to Home Back to Top ~Life as Sarendipity~. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.